y2 date: 7 tonnes recycled so far in 2013.
Our BOLD New Platform – Planet Chill.
Our Vision Towards a Sustainable Future.
A Vision Towards the Future
A sustainable business considers how individual aspects of operations interrelate with the external world, and consciously adopts practices that benefit more than the bottom line. A sustainable business recognises that in order to survive and thrive far into the future, it must consider the sum total of its interactions with people, the environment, culture and technology. A vision of a sustainable world where people lead healthy, happy lives within their fair share of the earth’s resources. We are demonstrating our commitment to this vision by implementing a “One Planet Action Plan.” Our plan will help us to embed sustainability in our organisation’s culture and mission. This type of awareness and consideration forms the basis for sustainability, weaving it into the very fabric and identity of Chill.
- Our vision of the future is one which we see a world in transition from an industrial economy to a sustainable economy
- Our achievements will build leadership, a competitive advantage and performance
- Sustainable innovations, for a solution to be truly sustainable & good it must have a positive return to the environment & society
- We are committed to the environment and reducing our rate of carbon emissions
- Our conservation actions will ultimately support healthy, sustainable economies; promote human welfare; and protect the natural resources we need to thrive
In some ways, true sustainability is an impossible goal because it’s an ongoing project, a never-ending path. This journey involves constant research into how we are currently operating. As understanding of our business grows, we are able to identify where positive changes can be made and wisely implement them, everything from better sourcing of materials to greater levels of transparency with the public. We seek to understand the effects our activities have on the environment and to continually improve its environmental performance by continuing to support initiatives & the “One Planet Living” framework to help us work more sustainably, addressing the environmental, social and economic aspects of sustainability:
- Reducing waste, reusing where possible, & ultimately sending zero waste to landfill
- Continuous improvement in energy efficiency in offices & warehouses, ultimately delivering ALL energy with renewable technologies
- Encouraging & training areas of improvement within our transport sector
- Using sustainable & environmentally health products, such as those with low embodied energy, sourced locally, made from renewable, plant & waste resources
- Using water more efficiently in our warehouses, water saving devices attached to hoses & water fittings, installed new water drinking system
- Protecting and restoring existing biodiversity and natural habitats through appropriate land use and integration into the built environment – land use & wildlife
- Supporting and participating in community arts – we have always had a keen interest in supporting the arts & culture of our community
- Using the Planet Chill platform to educate our community around eating local & sustainable food – considerations around social & environment impact
- Encouraging our people to lead active, sociable, meaningful lives for good health & sustainable well-being
- Training our people in sustainable work behaviours using a range of training programs
- Ongoing education to our people, community & public at large about man’s contribution to Global Warming
- Work with our clients to improve sustainable outcomes
Our Long Term View
As we strive to be a model and a leader, sustainability will continue to drive our decisions and our innovations. This plan & the long term view is not complete. It never will be. There will always be more we can do, and Chill will always work toward becoming a more sustainable company. Adopting and integrating relevant technological innovations and new communication tools early in order to operate more efficiently and to more effectively reach out to our client community and to the general public. We will continue to include:
- A strong vision
- Address critical challenges
- Propose big ideas
- Think long term & commit significant resources
- Adopt the seven generation approach
- Show evidence of integration
- Communicate effectively & a lot of hard work to perform in the sustainability stakes &
- An ongoing commitment to continue to be a leader & positively contribute to our business & the community
We are well aware of the harsh impact of refrigerated operations and energy consumption in our industry of transport and logistics so our focus on reducing our impact on the environment & to embrace sustainable & environmentally sound business practices, will improve performance and the environment. Sustainability will be a key success factor in shaping the reputation of Chill for long-term value creation. At the same time, the logistics industry, with its unique position all along the supply chain and its expertise, can offer important assistance to many sectors as progress leads towards a low-carbon economy. Logistics can help foster Sustainability. And future business success will heavily rely on Sustainability. This is no longer an option or a fantasy; it is reality & everyone has a clear & present responsibility to promote it.
- We accept that, man-made emmisions play a part in Global Warming
- Transport is a significant contributor to man-made CO2-emissions
- We accept that everyone must play a part in reducing CO2 emissions
- Reducing energy use, is good for the environment & good for business
An integral part of our bold new platform within our business, Planet Chill is to make a sustainable impression, to live it & breathe what it stands for! We have pledged to make a positive contribution to the societies in which we operate in. Raise issues close to our hearts, from political, environment, social & health. This is our way of connecting back to the real human spirit, which has ignited a passion from our team & a platform to express what is important.
What we found is that “sustainability” does not resonate with everyone. Many misunderstand it or find it abstract and removed from their everyday concerns and experience. Making sustainability relevant and accessible meant finding a hook to resonate with each of our people’s priorities. It was important to give them the flexibility to make it personal. Because, personal connections & perceived responsibility drive ownership. And for this to be effective, we had to connect to the heartbeat of Chill, which means connecting to the values and priorities in the hearts of our people.
- By encouraging our people to gain traction with our sustainability efforts, they too will adopt greener, cleaner & sustainable habits to encourage friends & families
- We have an open forum where sustainability ideas & practices at work can be contributed to our weekly agenda on Planet Chill
- The “Agents of Change” sustainability team meets monthly to review action plan & objectives
- We developed a Chill Sustainability Manifesto, as defined by our people with 48 guiding principles what we value most in life
Let’s learn from our mistakes of the past. In the current climate of escalating economic, political, social, crises that are symptomatic of the beginnings of ecological systemic collapse, we have the power to transform & demand change. And unless we adopt more sustainable business practices…the future will be considerable less attractive than the past. Our current rates of consumption is that we are consuming MORE than one planet can sustain. By taking the approach to think about how our actions today, the impact on future generations, especially the ones yet unborn,
Planet Chill is a new platform from Chill to engage the community in our sustainable efforts. Not only do we wish to open the discussion on sustainable efforts, Planet Chill will be used to bring to life other issues within our community. It will be for those who are passionate about improving the world we live in, whether it be environmental, social, political or economical. Get active. Join the Planet Chill movement today.
Sustainability is the world’s greatest innovation challenge. Although incremental improvements play an important role, on their own they will fall far short of achieving the progress that’s needed. We understand that fine tuning the mistakes of the past will simply not solve the problems we will face in the future. We are experiencing a rapidly changing corporate landscape – consumer buying demands, climate change, poverty, global economic downturn, increasing world population etc, the rules of the game are changing. No longer will the old business models be viable, the world will need new business models, new relationships and new ways of thinking. Sustainability requires transformation, and innovation lies at the heart of that process. As we continue to successfully look at innovative solutions across our own entire value chain, sustainability will be an engine for growth.
Two of our biggest projects this year have been in the design & construction of Chills new head quarters & state of the art refrigeration technology in the right direction:
- The inaugural relocation of Chill into 3 older warehouses to include a new -20C freezer room, BIG new 0 – 4C cool room, a new 12 – 18C wine, confectionery & chocolate room taking our capacity up to over 1000 pallets, was always going to be a challenge. With the output electricity to coolers of this magnitude we were not ignorant about how this may impact energy costs & the long term effect this would contribute to the environment. From the outset & where possible, we used environmentally friendly products & materials into the design & build with energy reduction efficiency as an important long term consideration. Refrigeration technology & energy efficiency had to meet our environmental initiatives. We chose the best on the market state of the art technology to ensure this had the least energy output & impact to the environment.
- Build concepts for the new office/warehouse also included:- recycled truck tyres for tables legs, recycled pallets for tables, and recycled timber & products where possible, recycled office equipment, changed our entire cleaning products range over to plant based solutions, no more nasty chemicals, and at helm of all this was the outcome for our people; to create a business environment that is healthy & attractive, one that will benefit the well being of those that work in or visit it.
Packaging represents one of the greatest challenges to environmental friendly logistics while at the same time being vital in shipping and storage. When you consider the staggering statistic – 253 million tons of packaging is used annually in the consumer industry – half paper, half plastic. Production of the paper requires 7 million trees to be felled. Most of the goods that we buy today are in some sort of packaging, whether food, electronics, shoes, medicine, etc. Our R & D investment is currently sourcing to produce a sustainable packaging initiative to make a substantial contribution to carbon abatement across the supply chain. We are still in development, however, in the mean time our recycling program is set up across 4 states, including NSW, VIC, QLD & WA as our commitment to minimising waste & recycling.
Y2 date: 7 tonnes recycled so far in 2013.
Sustainability – A word about the word
There is much which has been written about sustainability. Most of them equate the term to green, and rightly so, given that environmental concerns are what started the sustainability discussion. But while the environment is a key component of sustainability, “green” is but one element of the picture. But given its importance — without the natural environment none of the other components would have a chance to exist — we’ll place the environment at the center of what is called the “sustainable business universe.” Why? Because, truth be told, as powerful as governments, corporations, and people can be, only nature has the ability to change the world as we know it in an instant. For example, in February 2010, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake struck Chile. According to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, this natural disaster has shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened our days.
But that doesn’t mean we give up or throw our hands in the air & say “well in the end Mother Nature has the final say.” On the contrary, what if our actions of doing nothing were the very reason the earth is shaking & shaping our future? Such as “the philosophical proposition that every event, including human cognition and behaviour, decision and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences” – such as the term commonly known as the butterfly effect. The phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere. A butterfly flaps its wings which creates small winds that go on to create larger ones and which effect other things and 2000 years down the road it is seen that the flaps lead to the eruption of a volcano! The concept of determinism & the butterfly effect, are well known. Of course it’s probably impossible to prove how a butterfly could affect climatic conditions halfway around the world & impact the future.Yet, its our belief the minority can evolve into a majority where INDIVIDUALS do count and EVERYONE can make a difference. Change is brought about with one small action. Compound this by the people on the planet & you have Deep Impact. Small actions that go to on create larger actions.
Responding To & Embracing Change
There is still no denying that, in just a few decades, environmental awareness has evolved from a minority issue in mature Western societies to a top global consideration for consumers, media and policymakers alike. As the logistics industry is expected to continue growing, so will its energy consumption and GHG emissions, unless changes are made. The sector needs to improve its energy efficiency and develop viable alternatives to fossil fuels, otherwise it will also find itself ever more vulnerable to the uncertainty of oil supplies, as well as the increasing price volatility of fossil fuels. There is no sliver bullet technology that will make it happen overnight. Change is never easy to achieve – beyond showing the challenges, and possible solutions, let’s get to the core of why we do the things we do today, redefine those things based on the desired result, and eliminate any of the traditional baggage that no longer serves its purpose. You can react to change or you can proactively shape the future!
At Chill, sustainability is a word we don’t use lightly. It means a lot more to us than adopting individual components like carbon offsets & recycled packaging. Put simply, its about protecting our quality of life. It’s about reducing congestion and pollution, saving money through energy and water efficiency, protecting and increasing our green spaces – the list goes on. It’s about the needs of our children and future generations.